3.6.13

----- Turkey -----

Having the fortunate opportunity to visit Istanbul, Turkey, two years ago, it became one of my most memorable experience to date in my short travel timeline. Fast forward to current date, I am sadden to learn about the events happening there now; citizens who are simply passionate about preserving a piece of public land are eradicated violently for protesting against the construction of a future mall that will be bulldozed at the site. How does this case justify for the police brutality? This gesture for protecting the environment and conserving valuable land from becoming another capitalist opportunism is something rarely seen and acted in this world. So to see ordinary people being banished by having them tear-gas and tents burnt sends another disappointment to my heart. During my short travel across Turkey and in particular Istanbul, I have never felt as welcomed and safe throughout my Europe backpacking trip than there. To witness the images and reports makes me think otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment