14.8.12

----- Summer's Finish Line is Approaching -----

Weddings, music festivals, summer eating and debaucheries, the Olympics, road trips, terasses have and will have all passed in the incoming weeks. For now remains the most awkward phase of Summer, and why I say awkward, it's still Summer, technically, but right around the corner Reality is hiding and ready to jump you any moment, so you're not sure whether you can continue to go on vacations or not, to be lazy or not, to garden or to workout since Summer is giving you the cut eye. All the excuses we use for Summer will soon be useless like, "Lets stuff ourselves cuz it's Summer", "Summer keeps calling me Jabba the Hut so I'm working out" Alas, when Summer has taken its final bow, we all bury our heads into the regular programming. That means for me: self-promotion time. In other words, I need to start the engine of my self-branding which has been trying to start since the eve of Summer. 

Why is it taking so long? It isn't the lack of motivation or laziness, it's the lack of confidence and self-assurance. Imagine yourself in a room with a psychologist asking you what you want in life; you know but you don't really know. I'm my own client. I am asking myself what I want and need in my brand. Tables are turned and the spotlight is on me—not an easy task to accomplish. May I add too the pressure to standout from the plethora of visual creators who are equally as talented; certainly creativity is the foremost criteria for employers, our personalities and work ethics are very sought after as well. We can't walk in to a studio with a resume made from Word. We need to showcase our passion by breathing design every second and every step of the creative process, and don't forget, all which will be dissected and questioned by the employer. Essentially how we design ourselves will demonstrate how we design in general. Do you feel me now?! So avoidance is the easiest solution; unfortunately and sickeningly, it has been my drug of the late.

Today I tried picking up the research again and found some interesting inspired self-branding projects from fellow graphic designers around the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment