28.6.12

----- Hot Yoga? Not Tonight, Got Ms.Monae in the House -----

Probably the first and only concert review I'd do here since I'm digressing away from my design subjects. At least I have creative pictures to show and tell:


star trek

creepy cult like performances
 jame bond-esque graphics

 signature hair + tie

 band were outfitted with same loafers

 hair-fro fell down (intense)


Photos by: obviously me. *insert smiley face with tongue sticking out*

They announced cameras are prohibited but being sandwiched between a couple of press photographers (who wore a pass around their necks) at the very front of the stage helped camouflage my own DLSR and I flashed away discreetly to my own enjoyment. 

Review: There are only two genre of music that really, with a capital R, gets me tripping on a dance floor: 90's R&B/Hip Hop and old-school funk & soul. I don't think I remember dancing and being hypnotized by a performer since—I really don't remember! Provided that we were in a small venue and not a major sports arena, it enhanced the intimacy of the experience. Right up front of the stage, everyone danced and sweated to her R&B, old-school, funk and soul.  Everybody left with a fixed smile. Janelle Monae as a performer is bewitching, intense and caffeinated. If there is a Janelle Monae brand of coffee, order me a venti because whatever she has in her, definitely energized the crowd. Her voice is so captivating even as she was running around, jumping, laying on the floor, crawling, twirling, James Brown-ing, Michael Jackson-ing, her voice held up high. Ladies and gents, I present you: live singing and dancing. ( I think Jackson and Brown died and now lives in her.)

Design perspective: Like Lady Gaga, she has a good "brand" meaning from her styled hair, her style outfits, her styled band to the motion graphics shown behind, she packaged herself very cleverly and creatively.  This is Janelle before she became the Janelle Monae: 
She was no where near her current image (Lauryn Hill, is that you?) Negative comments such as "gimmicky", "fake", "phony" flung from left and right. Call her what they like, she could be all-show, but she has the crafts to tell. I think it is a brilliant image she holds. Not only does her voice resonate, her entire performance is completed with the retro, old-school, vintage, androgynous, James Brown era vibe. As people buy into Prince, Lady Gaga, Madonna, even Britney, they are accepting and purchasing their packaged experience, so haters whatchasaying?

 signature attire
 old school film countdown graphics
 retro graphics
her orchestra were outfitted to the same twirls design





No comments:

Post a Comment