3.1.12

----- Ay Yi Yi Ai Wei Wei! -----

Ai Wei Wei is bringing his Sunflower Seeds to New York! The infamous Sunflower Seeds art installation began in London at the Tate's Modern, which regrettably makes me wished I began my Europe trip one year earlier because I missed this incredible art piece by Ai Wei Wei. He and 1600 Chinese hand-painted the one hundred million porcelain sunflower seeds displayed in the large space. The term, "You have to see it to believe it", stands true for this. The notion is to demonstrate the art of craftsmanship, mass consumption and the Chinese industry. Traditionally in those days, especially during my mom's childhood, families worked at home to construct and built things. Like my grandmother and mother would tell me, they would go out, search for work and bring them back home to finish while preparing dinner and taking care of the family: envelopes, paper bags, candy wraps, etc. It was a group effort. People can criticize how wasteful this project is financially and time wise but they can also be people who could never understand the impact of art.




No comments:

Post a Comment