28.5.11

(i've fallen sick, so I feel like i'm not writing my usual self)

Wallpaper* Magazine is offering an opportunity for its readers to design their very own cover. August 2011 in this case. All you need to do is go on www.wallpaper.com, find the link, click it, pay it and sign in to design. What is Wallpaper* (with an asterisk)? Well for one, it's definitely not a magazine on wallpapers. Wallpaper* is one of those lifestyle/design magazines that I picture you'll find on the coffee tables in the lobbies of ad agencies, PR firms. Its focus is design, interior design, architecture, technology, entertainment, and fashion. Basically anything that is pleasant to the eyes. Of course, you won't be able to afford anything that you read. They also own travel guide books that are, to me, not the most useful; though aesthetically speaking, is enough for me to want to own them.


Here's the process. You are limited to 6 layers, 7 patterns, 17 images, 7 fonts, 7 shapes, and a rainbow of colours. Then you have the option to rotate, re-size, blend and play with opacity. Masking images and patterns are available.


I played around for a few days and came down to plain simple typographic look. As much as I would like to impress or fantasize being noticed by designers or art directors, this issue is about me and what I want. I wanted it to "belong" to me because one time my Wallpaper* magazine was stolen at my university exhibition at a local interior design show because I dumbly used it as a prop for my design work. Who steals a magazine?! Anyway, it's a personal inside joke, and now no one can steal this particular issue.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment