7.1.15


Every time I look at this comic, I find myself a bit tear-eyed. Because, I can relate. I am very fortunate to receive unconditional support from my Asian family who have always vocally praised my creative side; from my birthday cards to my handmade trinkets (which looking back, they were sad and cute attempts). Yes, I brought up "Asian" because stereotypes aside, it is the reality for most first generation immigrants. Asians are mostly known to dabble in the finance, medical or engineering fields; creative fields doesn't bring swift success or financial stability; it smells of child's play in their upbringing. Often this mentality is passed on to the next generation.  In my own eyes, I have witnessed the lack of or sparse presence of Asians in my field; they don't fill up art and design classes. Why do you think the accountant or engineer you know can draw really well? Growing up, to my surprise when it was brought up by my parents that one relative's child was an artist; it was a heart warming moment when my mom recommended that we go visit her art exhibition; perhaps to encourage me. Being able to follow your passion is a privilege.

 My father used to occasionally, always at unprovoked opportunity, he would spew out a few  "successful" careers (lawyers, dentists, doctor). I have a feeling he has accepted my creative side, he's now moved on to saying i could design bags or work for a news station and create moving graphics. He was never discouraging or questioned why I was sketching naked models (art school 101) but remained indifferent; it was all alien to him—the American Dream package didn't include this in their manual.

We must not discourage or reject a child's passion early on; they will come to their own terms. Hell, took me awhile to come to my own term (still struggling from time to time) and I'm in my late twenties. By denouncing them before they peak, we have limited their choices, their self-discovery and self-confidence. Not to say we need to sugar coat their journey; we also don't need to pour cement over it and pave their paths. A little encouragement goes a long way. Mistakes will be made. Let them make them. It's easier to correct fresh paint than aged paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment