1.11.10

----- Smooth Ride -----

Some time ago I began to notice an image revamp in the local public transportation system, which any dull normals would not have paid much attention to. I realize this might be expired news, but I still like to give recognition to the designing team because the visual elements they created continue to playfully and successfully inhabit our surroundings. Sid Lee redesigned and gave a new look to STM, Société de transport de Montréal (now you know where I live, please don't stalk me, thanks).



I think it is an accomplished execution due to the versatility and symbolism of the two forward arrows, and its use of colours. The arrows represent the metro's forward movement, and also acting as a metaphor for moving forward towards a better future for public transportation, which the STM is constantly working to rectify the issues of our troubled senior citizen system.


To me, when a large scale project like this requires staying power and to withstand years of "wear and tear", a specific well-planned concept needs to be able to pass the test of time. In this case, the arrows are always infused in many past, present, and future campaigns in STM's advertising and information design. Meaning, if a focal element is used to continuously spur other ideas in the branding campaign, I think something marvelous is happening.


STM

No comments:

Post a Comment